In my attempt in 'jellified' chendol, I did not compromise the use of the freshest coconut milk and freshly boiled red beans aka 'azuki'. I used a juice extractor to get the coconut milk.
Recipe for 25 small cups of Chendol agar agar
- Half a packet of agar agar strips
- 1/4 cup of red beans (boiled till soften)
- Half cup of Chendol green jelly
- Gula Malacca
- 400 ml coconut milk
- Pandan leaves
- Green colouring
- 25 small cups
- Soak agar agar strips in water for at least 30 mins
- Divide agar agar strips into two pots (a) 800ml of water (b) 500ml of water.
- Add in 2 pandan leaves each into the pots.
- Boil the agar agar mixture : Pot (a) & (b).
- Stir to ensure strips dissolve well.
- Add in coconut milk in pot (b) and add in sugar to taste. Do not let it boil or else coconut will curdle.
- Add in Gula malacca in pot (a) to taste.
- Remove pots from heat.
- Line some red beans at the bottom of the small containers.
- Pour in mixture from pot (b) slowly to the level you want.
- Remove some mixture from pot (b) and add green colouring.
- When layer 1 hardens, line some Chendol green jelly and pour in green coloured mixture to the level you want.
- When layer 2 hardens, pour in mixture from pot (a) to the level you want.
- You may add more if you like gula malacca.
- When layer 3 hardens, pour in mixture from pot (b) to top.
- Rest the agar agar till cool and refrigerate it.
- Serve cold.