Sunday, October 10, 2010

Glazed Char Siew

I am very sure that I am not a char siew fan. I prefer my wanton mee to be char siew free.
"Uncle, pure wanton please.." To me wanton mee's char siew is usually comparable to cardboard... :P However, I like char siew when it is glazed with a layer of burnt sweetness. I think it is hong kong style char siew. Hence I am here to make char siew that I hope I will like.


And yes, it is quite good. I brought to my MIL's place and they liked it!






Recipe good for 4-5 persons


  • 600g pork shoulder meat (Wu Hua Rong)
  • 5g Chopped Garlic
  • 50g Hoisin Sauce
  • 10g Light Soya Sauce
  • 2g Salt
  • 10g Mei Kua Lu (Rose wine)
  • 2g Red colouring (no. 284) mixed with 50ml water

Basting Sauce

  • 10g Dark Soya Sauce
  • 10g Golden Syrup
  • 10g Cooking oil

Method

  1. Marinate the meat and leave it overnight in the refrigerator.
  2. Heat the wok/pan, add 200ml and meat.
  3. Cook the meat over medium fire.
  4. Turn the meat occassionally.
  5. When the sauce thickens, baste the meat with the basting sauce.
  6. Remove the meat will the sauce caramalised on the meat.
  7. Let the meat rest. Serve in slices.



This is very simple to make. Choose fatty meat for juicier results.









No comments:

Post a Comment