Sunday, January 9, 2011

Otah: 2nd Attempt

My first attempt in making otah was not a successful as the fish paste turned out rather tough. I guessed it was because I blended the fish meat using a blender which caused it to toughen. Also the taste was lacking in coconut milk.

This is the second attempt and I have sought help from a colleague's wife. She shared with me her Thai otah recipe.

This time round I used a fork to scrap off the meat from the mackerel. It was very easy to do that. With this method, I could feel the texture of the meat.

My hubby and I made this moulds out from pandan leaves so I can steam the otah with the fragrance of pandan leaves.


Recipe for 25 moulds
  • 300g of Batang fish meat (scrap using a fork)
  • 1 egg
  • 1.5 cups of coconut milk
  • 1 tsp of palm sugar / Gula Malacca
  • 3 tbsp of Fish sauce
  • 1 tbsp of curry chilli
  • Shredded chili and kaffir leaves
Steps:
  1. Mix coconut milk, sugar, fish sauce and chilli together in a big bowl.
  2. Add in egg and fish meat.
  3. Stir for 2 minutes.
  4. Let it rest in the refrigerator for 15 mins
  5. Fill the moulds or banana leaves and topped with chili and kaffir leaves (optional).
  6. Steam for 3 minutes.
  7. Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment