Sometimes an idea just come and hit you right at the head! Bang! "Why didn't I think of that?" I have a strip of pork belly and a packet of buns in the fridge. Let's make some Chinese burgers and add a twist to it! Let's make it crispy and most importantly fast and easy to cook!
I make this dish within an hour. And my most loyal food critic/ fan (also known as my hubby) gave the dish TWO thumbs up and a wide grin. He said,"Why didn't you make these earlier?" Haha!
The difference between steamed buns and fried sesame buns is that the fried buns contrast the texture with the pork and gives the mouth a tantalizing experience. The sesame seeds also enhance the taste of the pork. But remember to eat the burgers when it is warm.
Recipe (5 burgers)
- 300g Pork Belly, cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 Big Red Onion, cut into thin slices
- 5 Buns
- 1 Egg
- 2 tbsp Sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 1 tsp Dark Soya Sauce
- 1 tsp Light Soya Sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp cornstarch, mix with 50ml of water
- Cooking Oil
Steps (Meat filling):
- Marinate the pork belly with oyster sauce, dark soya sauce, light soya sauce and sesame oil for 30 minutes.
- Heat the wok with 1tbsp of cooking oil. Add into onions. Fry till fragrant.
- Add in marinated pork. Stir well for 2 minutes.
- Add in 100ml of water. Add in salt and pepper and another 1/2 tsp of dark soya sauce and a dash of sesame oil.
- Simmer in low heat for 8 minutes.
- When gravy is reduced and thickened, add cornstarch mix slowly. Stir well.
- Stop adding cornstarch mix when gravy coats the meat well.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat the egg in a bowl.
- Coat the top part of the bun lightly with egg.
- Coat the egg covered portion with sesame seeds.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- While waiting, prepare a wok/ pan with oil for frying.
- To test if the oil is ready for frying, use a dry chopstick and stick inside the oil. If you see bubbles sizzle from the chopstick, it means it is ready.
- Using low-medium fire, deep fry the buns.
- Remove when golden brown.
- Serve immediately.