Friday, October 7, 2011

Authentic Thousand Island Dressing

I am embarrassed to say I have been buying salad dressing off the racks. I never had the courage to mix condiments together to make a sauce for my salad. I worry about fuss, storage and most importantly taste. 


I was at Boston Adult Learning Centre last week for a weekend basic cooking class. I was hoping to learn some cooking techniques so I can established some theoretical understanding to improve my culinary skills. I did not leave the class with what I aimed to achieve but I have gotten some good recipes.  We made some Thousand Island dressing in the class. It was meant for the sandwiches which the instructor has demonstrated. I was already quite filled after sampling few dishes and never imagined that the sandwiches would be so delicious. It was made on an iron-cast pan, pan-fried with butter. The sandwiches were made with rye bread, cheese, roasted beef, cheese, cabbage slaw and thousand island dressing. Yummy! 


So I went back home and made some Thousand Island dressing for the baby carrots we got. The dressing was a marvellous dip! The great thing about making your own sauce is that you can look for low fat ingredients to manage your fat intake. 


And do you know that Thousand Island Dressing originated in United States?




Recipe
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups Mayonnaise (You can opt for low fat mayo)
1 cup Tomato Ketchup
1 tsp Chili sauce
2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
A pinch of Salt


Steps:

  1. Mix all the ingredients together. 
  2. Enjoy with your favourite greens!

No comments:

Post a Comment