Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Heartwarming Fish and Shrimp Soup

The nights in Cambridge are turning pretty cold. It will be really nice to snuggle in couch with a heartwarming soup (in a cup) in my hands. I have been wondering if I am already trying to keep myself warm in Autumn, how am I going to survive winter? Now I understand why everyone has been telling me about Boston's infamous harsh Winter. I doubt I am ready for that. 


Last week after cleaning my CSA's pollock, I made fish stock with the fish bones. As I am not a skilled fishmonger, there was quite an amount of fish meat on the bones. It will be such a waste to throw them away. The fish stock was amazingly sweet. I love it when fish is so fresh and you can taste the sea! I also have couple of Pollock fillets in my freezer waiting for me to eat them. So here it is: Fish soup... But I really like shrimps too. So Fish and Shrimp soup it is!




Recipe (4 servings)
Ingredients:

  • 1/2 medium yellow onion, cut into small dices
  • 1/2 stalk of Celery, cut into small dices
  • 1/2 small carrot, cut into small dices
  • 1 medium potato, cut into small dices
  • 6-8 medium sized shrimps, shelled and deveined
  • 600g White Fish (1.3 lbs), cut into 1 inch x 1/2 inch
  • 1 Bay leaf
  • 3 tbsp Butter
  • 3 tbsp Plain flour
  • 3 cups Fish stock (*instructions after recipe)
  • 1/2 cup Heavy cream
  • 1/8 tsp Paprika 
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • Roasted pine nuts (*optional)
Steps:
  1. In a pot over medium heat, add butter. Melt it. 
  2. Add onions and fry till translucent. Add in carrots and celery. 
  3. Fry until vegetables began to soften. 
  4. Add in flour to make a roux. Stir for at least 5 minute to get rid of the raw flour taste. Do not brown the roux.
  5. Add in the fish stock slowly. Stir well. 
  6. Let it simmer for 10 minutes. 
  7. Add in heavy cream and simmer for another 10 minutes. 
  8. Add in fish and shrimps. 
  9. Season with salt, pepper and paprika. Simmer for another 5 minutes. 
  10. Serve hot with roasted pine nuts. 

Fish Stock
Ingredients:

  • 1/2 medium yellow onion, cut into small dices
  • 1 stalk of Celery, cut into small dices
  • 1 small carrot, cut into small dices
  • 2-3 pounds of fish bones 
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine 
  • 5 cups water
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 3 sprigs of Thyme
  • 2 bay leaves

Steps:

  1. In a pot over medium heat, add butter. Melt it. 
  2. Add in all vegetables. Fry till it begins to soften. 
  3. Add in fish bones. Fry till it turns opaque. 
  4. Add wine. 
  5. Add in bay leaves and thyme. Simmer for 3 minutes to let the alcohol evaporates. 
  6. Add in water. Cover the pot with a lid and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
  7. Remove from heat. Drain the stock. 
  8. If you are not using it immediately, freeze it.  


3 comments:

  1. Hello, I just discovered your beautiful blog and I like what I see. :) This looks gloriously warm and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just discovered your site. Very good. Please keep it up.

    ReplyDelete