I remember the times which my brother and I kneaded the dough and made them into bite size pieces. We would try to make them into different shapes. Heart, diamond, snake and many more. This added fun when we eat them.
I guess you can replace the soup with any clear soup. But I really like how this cabbage soup go hand in hand with the 'kuey'.
Recipe (Serve 4)
- 500g Plain flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Cooking oil
- In a big mixing bowl, mix plain flour with egg and cooking oil.
- Add water 1 tbsp at a time until the sides of the bowl is clean.
- Knead the dough till smooth.
- Cover with cling wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Boil a pot of water. Let it simmer.
- Taking a handful of dough at a time, pinch and stretch bite-sized pieces and drop into the simmering water. Continue with the rest of the dough.
- When the pieces floats in the simmer water, it means it is ready to be removed.
- Remove the pieces and soak them in cold tap water.
- 8 Shrimps, shelled and deveined
- Pork or chicken slices
- Half of a small cabbage, sliced
- 1 clove of Garlic
- 1 1/2 tbsp Cooking oil
- 700ml of Water
- 1 tbsp Soya sauce
- 1 piece of Chicken flavored cube
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Dash of White pepper
- Red chillies, sliced
- In a heated wok, add cooking oil.
- Fry garlic till fragrant.
- Add in shrimps and pork slices.
- Fry till they turned opaque.
- Add in cabbage. Fry for 30 secs or so.
- Add in water. Let it boil and add in the seasoning. Taste and adjust to your liking.
- Remove the 'kuey' from water and put them into the simmering soup.
- Let it boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Serve with sliced chilli.