Friday, October 14, 2011

Rice Pudding in Caramel Apple Sauce

I think I am an Activist. I like to make things happen. I like to help and make things better. Hmm... 


Recently, I initiated a Culinary club in my residential community and volunteered to coordinate it. It is so great to be able to start a club to gather like-minded people (Foodies) together and I hope that through this club, people of different backgrounds and cultures can come together to build a community who loves and appreciate food. 


During my planning process for the culinary club's inaugural session, I researched on some 'apples' dessert recipes as I would like to demonstrate a couple of recipes during the kickoff session. The recipes have to be good as you know...First impression counts. And everyone loves desserts! 


When I tried this recipe, I fell in love with the vanilla rice pudding immediately. "Oh my gosh! It is so creamy and yummy!"  I think I can eat this pudding all day and night, for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Okay, I am exaggerating but I really love it. The caramel apple sauce is nice too but I think if you have your grandma's hand-down recipe, you can always use that. 



So today, I did the demonstration. It went great and everyone loves it! 



Recipe (6 servings)
Ingredients:
Pudding:
  • 3 cups of Water
  • 1/4 tsp of Salt
  • 1/2 cup of Rice
  • 4 cups of Whole milk
  • 1/3 cup of Sugar
  • 2 tsp of Vanilla extract

Steps:
1.     In a saucepan, boil 3 cups of water, salt and rice for 10 minutes.
2.     Drain rice and discard cooking water.
3.     In the same saucepan, boil milk and sugar over medium high. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
4.     Add rice and reduce heat to medium. Simmer until the rice is tender and pudding turns creamy and thickened.
5.     Remove from heat.
6.     Stir in vanilla extract.
7.     Transfer pudding to a shallow bowl. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.

Ingredients:
Caramel apple sauce:
  • 2 medium apples, peeled and cut into ½ inch size
  •  1/4 cup of Sugar
  • 1 tbsp of Lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp of Unsalted butter
  •  1/2 cup of Apple cider
  • A pinch of salt
  •  1/2 cup of Heavy cream
  • 1 – 2 tsp of Rum (optional)


Steps:
1.     Using a saucepan, mix sugar and lemon juice together.
2.     Over medium high heat, caramelise sugar until it is medium amber colour.  Stir well.
3.     Remove from heat. Add butter and mix well.
4.     Return to heat and add in apple cider and salt. Bring to boil.
5.     Add in apples and simmer until tender. Stir occasionally.
6.     Add in heavy cream and boil until sauce thickens slightly.
7.     Add in rum and stir well. Boil for 1 minute.
8.     Remove from heat.


Serving instructions:
·        Using lowball glasses, top warm caramel apple sauce with cold rice pudding. Add another spoon of warm caramel apple sauce.
·        Garnish with whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment