How about carrot soup? Ya I know... not appealing at all. I am sure with some innovation it will be an awesome soup! And it did turn out really great. My food critic (aka hubby) gave thumbs up too!
I like the depth of curry powder. It makes food tastes so exotic and rich. This spice definitely adds some $$ value to a plain old carrot soup. The use of cilantro was really quite a genius as it brings out a citrus-y and healthy taste. I know cilantro may not be everyone's favorite but it has a place in our house. Yea!!!
Recipe (Serves 3 -4)
- 3 medium Carrots, peeled and cut into dices
- 1 Onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 handful of Cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp Curry powder
- 2 cups Beef stock (you can use chicken or vegetable stock)
- 1/2 cup Water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heavy cream (optional)
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- In a heavy saucepan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add in chopped onions and stir well.
- When onions turn transparent, add in carrots.
- Stir for 2 minutes and add in beef stock and water.
- Let it boil on medium heat until the carrots turn very tender. Use a fork to test.
- Add in cilantro and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Using an immersion handheld blender or a liquidizer, blend the soup until all ingredients are fine. Be careful as soup is very hot.
- Return the saucepan with soup to low heat.
- Season the soup with curry powder, salt and pepper. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with a drizzle of heavy cream.