Habanero is rated one of the hottest chili in the world. It is given 100,000–350,000 on the Scoville scale whereas Bird-eye chili (Commonly used in Asia) is only rated 50,000 - 100,000. Be careful when you deal with them. My hands experienced hot sensation even though I minimized contact with it.
After making the jelly, M and I tasted it. Wooh! It was much better than the one we had at the foodswap. It was magnificent (and quite spicy despite both of us love spicy food). Right after M left my place, I started to think of what to have for dinner. After browsing some food magazines, I decided to make some Potato Latkes. Then a sudden thought came to my head! Why not dip it with Habanero jelly! So I did! It was a marriage made in heaven! Yummy... You got to try these out!
Spicy Habanero Jelly
- 60g Hanabero chili
- 30g Yellow Bell pepper
- 1/3 Big yellow onion
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup Sugar
- 6g Pectin
- Puree chili and peppers with 1/4 cup of vinegar.
- Boil the puree chili mix with sugar and rest of the vinegar for 10 minutes.
- Stir in pectin and keep boiling for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Skim foam.
- Mixture will form when cooled.
Recipe (Makes seven 3" pieces)
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Egg
- 1/6 cup All-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- Cooking oil
- Peel and coarsely grate the potatoes.
- Toss with lemon juice.
- Chop the onions and mix it with the potatoes.
- Using a clean kitchen towel, wring out as much liquid as possible from the potatoes and onions.
- Put the potatoes and onion to a clean mixing bowl.
- Add in egg, flour and salt. Mix well.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Fill a 1/4 cup with latke mixture and carefully place it on the pan.
- Using a slotted spatula, flatten latke mixture into 3" patty.
- Fry till the undersides turned golden brown. Turn over and cook the other side golden brown too.
- Repeat for the rest of the latke mixture.
- You may keep them warm in a 250 degree Fahrenheit oven for up to 1 hour. Or you may fry them again for 2 minutes on each sides.