Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Gorgeous Sticky Sticky Buns

I was watching the Food Network sometime back while I was still in Singapore. I chanced upon an episode where they were introducing Joanne Chang's Sticky Sticky Buns. It was so gorgeous looking and I knew I had to try one when I go to Boston. The buns were deemed so tasty that it defeated Bobby Flay's! When I reached Boston, I had totally forgotten about it until one day I walked into 'Flour' Bakery and found myself staring at some golden caramelized buns. "Those buns looked so familiar" I said to myself. "Woo... they are the ..." I exclaimed. So I bought one and packed it back to my apartment to share my new finding with my hubby. It was so delicious and I can tell you that I now frequent 'Flour'. 

My new found love has prompted me to look for the recipe and get my hands busy. I did what I had to do and I am very glad for the invention of INTERNET! 

The recipe requires lots of patience and time. I did not have a mixer here in Boston so I was training my arms as I kneaded the dough.  


Recipe (For 8 buns)
Ingredients:
A) Dough
  • 175g All-purpose flour
  • 170g Bread Flour
  • 1 package Active Dry Yeast
  • 40g Fine Sugar
  • 1/2 tbsp Kosher salt
  • 1/4 cup Cold water
  • 2 Whole Eggs and 1 egg yolk
  • 155g Unsalted butter, cut into 10 small pieces
Steps:
  1. Combine flour, yeast, sugar, salt, water and eggs. Knead the dough until all ingredients are well combined and smooth. The dough will looked dry. 
  2. At this time, add the butter, 1 piece at a time. Knead the butter into the dough and add the rest of the butter slowly. It may seems impossible at first. 
  3. Once the butter is completely incorporated, continue to knead for about 15 minutes. It will look smooth and shiny. The dough will have some elasticity when you pull a piece from it. 
  4. Cover the dough with cling wrap and refrigerate overnight. 
  5. Take the dough out from the refrigerator 1 hour before use.

B) Goo and Final assembling
  • 170g Unsalted Butter
  • 345g Brown Sugar (1)
  • 1/3 cup Honey
  • 1/3 Heavy cream
  • 1/3 Water
  • 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
  • Prepared Dough
  • 1/4 cup Brown Sugar (2) 
  • 1/4 cup Fine sugar
  • 1/8 tsp Ground Cinnamon
  • 1 cup Toasted pecans, chopped
Steps:
  1. In a saucepan, melt butter and whisk in brown sugar (1). Remove from heat and whisk in honey, heavy cream, water and salt.  
  2. Set aside and let it cool for 30 minutes. 
  3. Roll the dough into 12" by 16" and 1/4" thick. 
  4. In a bowl, mix brown sugar (2), sugar, cinnamon and 1/2 of the pecans. Sprinkle this mixture onto the rolled dough. Ensure it is evenly spread out. 
  5. Using your fingers, roll the dough (like a swiss roll) from one side to the opposite side. Start with the long side. 
  6. Use a knife and cut the roll into 8 equal parts. 
  7. Pour the goo into a baking tray (make sure the tray is at least 2 inch high). 
  8. Sprinkle the rest of the pecans over the goo. 
  9. Arrange the buns in the baking tray in 2 rolls of 4s. 
  10. Cover with cling wrap and let it proof in a warm place. It should double the size.
  11. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  12. Bake the buns unto golden brown, about 35 minutes. 
  13. Let the baking tray cool for 20 minutes. Remove the buns and invert them on a serving plate. Spoon extra goo and pecans over the buns. 
  14. Enjoy!

Recipe is adapted from Food Network.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment