Saturday, May 25, 2013

Braised Noodles in Oyster Sauce

I am very sure I belong to the category who live to eat. I love food (full stop). And most importantly I appreciate all those who make eating possible. What I mean is that I appreciate people who grow the rice, mill the wheat, rear the chicken, catch the fish, bake the cakes and down to those who serve the food. Basically, everyone whom participate in the 'Food chain". This food chain is not the one which we learn in Science classrooms. This food chain is the supply chain that makes eating a dining experience. 

Some of the people I know rather spend money on luxury goods, some prefer to spend on cosmetics and spa and I prefer to feed my stomach. Despite saying that, I do not believe that every meal must be a lavish affair. I believe even a humble bowl of noodles can be satisfying to both the palate and the stomach.  

So one Sunday... I was waiting for my hubby to return home so we can go for lunch. I waited and waited. My stomach started growling. Yes, 'she's' hungry. In fact, quite hungry. So I pulled out few items from the fridge and started whipping up a wok of Braised Noodles in Oyster Sauce. It was sumptuous. Do not worry if you do not have all the ingredients. They are easily replaceable with others. (See below for alternatives) 

Guess what, after I finished cooking and had two helpings of the noodles. I realised that I have numerous missed calls from my hubby. :P 




Recipe (Serves 4) 
Ingredients:

  • Fresh Shanghainese Noodles
  • 100g Pork Belly, thinly sliced 
  • 3 pieces Fresh Black Fungus. thinly sliced
  • 2 stalks Scallions, cut into 1 inch long
  • 2 cloves of Garlic, Chopped
  • 2 Eggs, Lightly beaten
  • 1 1/2 cup Chicken Stock
  • 2 tbsps Oyster sauce
  • 1 tbsp Light Soya Sauce
  • 1 tbsp Dark Soya Sauce
  • 1 tsp Sesame Oil
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Cooking oil 
  • 2 litres of water
 Steps:

  1. In a pot, boil 2 litres of water. Boil the noodles for 1 minute or al dente. Rinse in tap water to remove some of the starch. Drain. You do not want to over cook at this process as it will be cooked again later. 
  2. In a heated wok, add 2 tbsp of oil. Stir fry the eggs. Set aside. 
  3. In the same wok, add 2 tbsp of oil. Add chopped garlic and fry till fragrant. Add in the white sections of scallions. 
  4. Add pork and fry till it turns opaque. Add in black fungus. 
  5. Add in chicken stock, oyster sauce, sesame oil, light soya sauce and dark soya sauce. 
  6. When it starts boiling, add in drained noodles. Stir and add in fried eggs.
  7. Cover and let it simmer for 3 minutes in low heat or until gravy thickens. If you find the gravy too thick, add water accordingly. This varies due to the noodles you use. 
  8. Season with salt and pepper. 
  9. Add in the rest of the scallions. Stir and remove from heat. 

I cooked this with what I have from my fridge so do not fret if you do not have the ingredients. Just use something you like. Who knows? It could be an epic recipe! 

Alternative ingredients:
  • Fresh Shanghainese Noodles - Fresh/ Dried Egg noodles, Ee fu noodles, Bee Hoon 
  • Pork belly - Pork loin, Chicken breast, Shrimps
  • Black fungus - Fresh/ Dried Shitake mushrooms, enoki mushrooms
  • Chicken stock - Water (but it will lose the depth in taste)


No comments:

Post a Comment