Today is one of those days that I feel like going healthy. I want to enjoy something simple, healthy and tasty. It has been for at least 6 months which I have opt for healthier rice options during dinner. I read that quinoa is a great grain with high nutritive value. It is a high protein food and has high concentration of mono-saturated fats that protects our heart. It is also a good source of folate, copper and phosphorus in contrast to whole wheat. Sounds good isn't it?
Taste wise... I think it tastes better than brown rice. And surprisingly, quinoa pairs extremely well with curries. If you wonder if it is a new world food. Nope! Quinoa has been around approximately 3000 BC. The good news is that the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAO) has officially declared year 2013 "The International Year of the Quinoa." This further affirms that the quinoa is the healthier and right choice.
- 1/2 cup Quinoa
- 1/2 cup Edamame, blanched in hot water and drained
- 1/4 cup Celery, cut into small dices
- 1/4 cup Carrots, cut into small dices
- 2 tbsp Toasted Pine nuts
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea salt and Pepper to taste
- Boil quinoa with 1 cup of water in a small saucepan, covered. Remove from heat once the quinoa becomes tender and absorbs all the water. Do not let the quiinao burn. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Mix the prepared ingredients and quinoa in a mixing bowl together. Add olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- You may serve straight away or chilled.