As I was saying about the Xmas Cookies exchange on google+ community, I joined and got paired up with someone staying in Singapore too. I was happy to receive my cookies with my swap pal and I started cracking my brain to think of cookies that she would like. As you may have experienced that anxiety makes things worse, I witnessed 2 failed recipes. I wanted to make almond cloud cookies but somehow I think the almond paste I have gotten has different consistency or maybe the eggs I used were humongous. Also, I attempted the coffee kalua cookies and it was also a failure because I replaced the requested shortening to butter... and my piped cookies melted flat. That is me to blame despite knowing that the two has different melting points!
Finally, I picked a butter cookie recipe and made some adjustments to it.
Recipe (About 25 pieces)
- 65g Unsalted Butter,softened
- 40g Brown Sugar
- 10g Caster Sugar
- 30g Whole egg, lightly beaten
- 170g All purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Paste
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 80g Mixed nuts, chopped (e.g. Walnuts, almonds, pine nuts)
- Using a electric mixer, cream the butter with sugar.
- Add in egg and vanilla paste.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt together.
- Add into the liquid mixer and mix well.
- Remove the cookie dough from mixer.
- Lay a piece of cellophane sheet on the table, place the dough on top. Shape the dough into rectangle block.
- Wrap it with the sheet and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- After it is hardened, remove from plastic. Slice the dough into 0.8 cm thick slices.
- In a preheated oven of 170 degree celsius, bake the cookies on a cookie sheet for 12 minutes.