Monday, May 23, 2011

Lady's Fingers in Dried Shrimps Sambal Chilli

I have to admit that I used to hate lady's fingers and ponder why would anyone consume such a vegetable that is named after 'my' fingers with slimy secretion from the core...
But as I grown 'wiser' and start to dine out more often, I have been put into situations that it was not nice to waste food. So I ate lady's fingers. Tempura style, fish curry style and sambal style... And actually it is quite a nice vegetable. It doesn't has any pungent taste and it is has a good texture. So at about the age of 30, I accepted lady's fingers.

During my annual school trips to Malacca, I am served with this wonderful sambal lady's fingers at a Peranakan restaurant. It is out of this world and I think I could finish a bowl of plain rice with it. Recently, I craved for it. I googled and did not managed to find a decent recipe. Hence, I recalled the taste and created my own recipe.

I am very pleased with the outcome and I am happy to share it with my family. Hopefully my sister can add some comments here to convince you that it is really good. :)


Recipe (Good for 5 servings)
Ingredients
  • 6 Lady's fingers, washed and cut away top and ends
  • 2 tbsp Dried shrimps, soaked in hot water for 30 min
  • 6 Big Red chilli
  • 2 shallots
  • 2 garlic
  • 1 inch Balacan
  • 2 Limes
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Sugar
  • 1/2 tsp Soya sauce
  • Oil for frying
Steps:
  1. Using a food processor, mince the soaked dried shrimps to medium fine. Remove.
  2. Blend chili, garlic and shallots into a fine paste. Remove.
  3. In a heated wok, add balacan and fry lightly till fragrant. Takes about 2 minutes. Remove.
  4. In the same wok, add 2 tbsp of oil. Fry the chili paste and balacan till well-cooked and fragrant. Remove.
  5. In the same wok, add 2 tbsp of oil. Fry the minced dried shrimps till fragrant and oil bubbles.
  6. Add in chili paste and seasoning. Mix well. Remove the dried shrimp sambal chilli from heat.
  7. In a pot of boiling water, add 1/4 tsp salt and oil each. Boil the lady's fingers till turn vibrant green. Takes about 3 minutes.
  8. Cut the lady's fingers into 3 parts. Plate it and top it with fried dried shrimp sambal chilli. Squeeze lime over the dish. Serve hot.

2 comments:

  1. Very Nice!
    The lady finger was cooked just right. The sambal is good to eat on its own - not too saltish or spicy.
    This dish goes well with rice
    ~Lilian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Li Theng, In the U.S., it is called okra. I will have to get some sambal to take home with me. Patsy

    ReplyDelete