I have some strawberries in my refrigerator which we bought from Haymarket (a cheap wholesale market in Boston). It costs only $1 for each box. We bought a box and thinking we can have them with cereal for breakfast the next day. Forgetting we still have raspberries. So the strawberries stood in the fridge for a couple of days and I am sorry to say that they lost their beautiful, blooming, fresh luster. They have a few bruises but I am no fruit abuser :P
Nevertheless they are good tasting strawberries. Let's preserve the goodness of the strawberries and make it into jam. I can have the it for dessert, breakfast spread, pies or over ice cream. The good thing about homemade preserve is that you got to decide the sweetness and totally no preservatives.
12-15 Large/medium strawberries
Half a lemon, juice it
1 cup of sugar (You may adjust this according to your preference)
- Wash and drain the strawberries.
- Hull the strawberries and cut into quarters.
- In a non-stick pot (easier to wash), put the cut strawberries, sugar and lemon juice to boil.
- When it starts to boil, turn the heat to low. Give a stir occasionally.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes or until liquid thickens.
- Remove from heat. Cool.
- You may can it or store in a container. Refrigerate.