Sunday, April 8, 2012

Old Fashioned Bread Pudding with Rum Vanilla Sauce


I never like Bread Pudding (until a month ago). One of my best friends, WWW, was the total opposite. She loves it and she would zoomed right into it if it was offered in a buffet. No matter how she tried to convince me to try it, I never did. 


I was full of assumptions that bread pudding was just stale bread drowned in eggs, milk, sugar and butter. Also I was particular about the 'nutrition' value it will bring to my concerning waist line and 'bye-bye' arms. Recently, I was offered to try in a pot luck session. I had to be polite so I tried. And I am sold completely! It was so delicious that I went for 2 and 3 helpings. As I was eating, I suggested to make a few tweaks to make the pudding even better.




Here's my version!


Recipe (Serve 4- 6 servings)
Ingredients:


A) Pudding
  • 4 cups of White Bread, cut into 2 inch squares (or any shape you like)
  • 1/2 cup Raisins 
  • 2 cups Whole milk
  • 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter
  • 1/2 cup Granulated sugar
  • 2 Large eggs
  • 1 tbsp Vanilla Essence
  • 1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
  • 2 tbsp Dark Rum
Steps:
  1. Soak the raisins in rum for at least 30 minutes (overnight for best results). Drained. Set the rum aside. 
  2. Preheat the oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit. 
  3. Combine bread and raisins in a large mixing bowl. 
  4. In a medium saucepan, combine whole milk, sugar and butter. Over medium heat, melt the butter and dissolve the sugar. Do not let the milk boil. 
  5. Pour the milk mixture over the bread. 
  6. Let it stand for 10 minutes. 
  7. In a separate mixing bowl, mix other ingredients with a whisk. Stir into the bread mixture. Be gentle.
  8. Pour into a greased casserole or deep baking dish. Bake for 40 minute or until it is golden brown and set. 
  9. Remove from oven. Drizzle leftover rum over the pudding. 
B) Vanilla Sauce
  • 1/2 cup Butter
  • 1/2 cup Sugar
  • 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
  • 1/2 Heavy cream
  • 1 tbsp Vanilla essence
  • 1 tbsp Rum
Steps:
  1. Combine all ingredients except vanilla essence and rum. Cook over medium heat and stir occasionally. 
  2. When the mixture thicken and starts to boil, stir in vanilla essence and rum. 
  3. To serve, spoon warm pudding into individual plates and drizzle with warm sauce. 

1 comment: