Friands means dainty or a gourmet who delights in delicate tastes (wikipedia). In addition to my internet search, friand is a spin off from financier which uses almond flour, butter and egg whites as key ingredients. However, friands, popular in Australia, has additional flavouring like coconut, fruits, chocolate and nuts. The rich and buttery cake amazes the tastebuds on the first bite and your mind will beg for for.. This 'phenomenon' is universal! My in-laws witnessed it too!
Coconut & Mango Friands (12 portions)
- 125g All-purpose flour
- 300 pure icing sugar
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 65g Desiccated coconut
- 90g Almond meal
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 8 Egg whites
- 250g Unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 mango, chopped to make 1 cup
- Preheat oven to 180 degree celsius.
- Sift flour, icing sugar and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Stir in coconut, almond meal and lemon zest.
- Lightly forth egg whites with a fork. Add to dry ingredients with melted butter. Beat with a spatula.
- Fill the friands tray with batter to 3/4 mark. Top with mango.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Check with a skewer inserted into the centre and comes out clean.
- Serve well with a dash of icing sugar.