Saturday, May 14, 2011

Homemade Yummy Rum and Raisin Ice cream

Some of you may know I bought a ice-cream maker some time back. I made Mango ice-cream with it and it wasn't popular with my hubby. Why? The mangoes which I used were not fragrant and sweet. After that I tried making Watermelon Sorbet. It was good but sorbet is always second class compared to ice-cream.
Soon my hubby challenged me to make his favourite ice-cream : Rum and Raisins Ice-cream. Well.. I am also a lover for the flavour hence I am game for it. So I went on a search for a recipe. I did not get any luck online and hence went to the national library to browse through their shelves. I definitely did not regret my visit to the library.

I made the dessert and it was delectable and extremely addictive. Raisins are plumped in rum which give kicks to every mouthful of creamy ice-cream that slowly melts in your mouth.
My hubby tried and immediately said," Please keep the ice-cream for me. Do not give them away. It is marvellous!". You can imagine the look on my face. Haha!


Recipe for 1 litre for ice-cream
  • 3/4 cup of Raisins
  • 1/4 cup Dark rum
  • 2 cups of milk
  • 4 large egg yolks
  • 2/3 cup sugar (you may reduce if you prefer less sweet)
  • 1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (I prefer vanilla paste for stronger taste)
Steps:
  1. Soak the raisins in rum to steep for 15 minutes to 30 minutes
  2. Using a double-boiler, heat milk over simmering water until steaming.
  3. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks until well blended and whisk in sugar.
  4. Whisk in the half of the hot milk and pour the yolk mixture into the pan of the other half of the hot milk.
  5. Continuously stir and cook over simmering water until custard coats the back of a spoon, about ten minutes.
  6. Strain the raisins (keep the rum) and stir them into the custard.
  7. Immediately place the custard pan in a ice bath and stir the custard occasionally until cools to room temperature.
  8. Transfer to a container and stir in heavy cream and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate for about 3 hours.
  9. Freeze in an ice cream maker. When the ice-cream is almost frozen, add in rum and vanilla extract.
  10. Churn until well blended. Transfer to a container, cover and freeze until firm.

For those who are interested to get an inexpensive ice-cream maker, you may want to check out Philips HR2304/70 which is available in Best Denki or Harvey Norman. It is easy to use!


2 comments:

  1. Hello Lee!
    I would like to ask was it icing sugar that has been used in this recipe? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete