Some of you may know I bought a ice-cream maker some time back. I made Mango ice-cream with it and it wasn't popular with my hubby. Why? The mangoes which I used were not fragrant and sweet. After that I tried making Watermelon Sorbet. It was good but sorbet is always second class compared to ice-cream.
Soon my hubby challenged me to make his favourite ice-cream : Rum and Raisins Ice-cream. Well.. I am also a lover for the flavour hence I am game for it. So I went on a search for a recipe. I did not get any luck online and hence went to the national library to browse through their shelves. I definitely did not regret my visit to the library.
I made the dessert and it was delectable and extremely addictive. Raisins are plumped in rum which give kicks to every mouthful of creamy ice-cream that slowly melts in your mouth.
My hubby tried and immediately said," Please keep the ice-cream for me. Do not give them away. It is marvellous!". You can imagine the look on my face. Haha!
Recipe for 1 litre for ice-cream
- 3/4 cup of Raisins
- 1/4 cup Dark rum
- 2 cups of milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar (you may reduce if you prefer less sweet)
- 1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (I prefer vanilla paste for stronger taste)
- Soak the raisins in rum to steep for 15 minutes to 30 minutes
- Using a double-boiler, heat milk over simmering water until steaming.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks until well blended and whisk in sugar.
- Whisk in the half of the hot milk and pour the yolk mixture into the pan of the other half of the hot milk.
- Continuously stir and cook over simmering water until custard coats the back of a spoon, about ten minutes.
- Strain the raisins (keep the rum) and stir them into the custard.
- Immediately place the custard pan in a ice bath and stir the custard occasionally until cools to room temperature.
- Transfer to a container and stir in heavy cream and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate for about 3 hours.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker. When the ice-cream is almost frozen, add in rum and vanilla extract.
- Churn until well blended. Transfer to a container, cover and freeze until firm.
For those who are interested to get an inexpensive ice-cream maker, you may want to check out Philips HR2304/70 which is available in Best Denki or Harvey Norman. It is easy to use!