Saturday, April 16, 2011

Healthy Wholemeal Bread

I always wanted to bake my own bread. Yes, I haven't got the guts to try even though I have attended a 8-week programme on bread making about 3 years ago. I have tried brioche and croissants but not those traditional bread. Well, what is stopping me is that I am worried if my bread does not rise. I need to get that off my head and I am not going to find the easy way out by getting a bread making machine.
So I flipped my old recipes and there it is "Wholemeal Bread". The steps were easy to follow and ingredients were simple. I made half the portion as I did not want to have bread for my entire week.

Ta Da!!! Here it is my first loaf of wholemeal bread.


I had the bread for my lazy Sunday breakfast with some jam and a glass of juice!

Recipe for 1kg of bread
(A)
  • 850g Bread Flour
  • 30g Milk Powder
  • 60g Sugar
  • 50g Instant Yeast
  • 10g Bread Improver
  • 150g Wholemeal Flour
  • 50g Butter or Shortening
Ingredient (B)
  • 550g Cold water
  • 15g Salt
Steps:
  1. Using a dough hook beater, mix ingredients A together at low speed.
  2. Add cold water and salt slowly into the mixing bowl till the dough does not stick to the bowl.
  3. Mix the dough for 10 minutes at medium speed. Ensure the dough is smooth.
  4. Remove the dough from the mixer. Fold in the dough and put it back into the bowl. Cover with moist towel and let it rise (approx 15 minutes). Ensure it is placed near somewhere warm.
  5. When the dough is ready, it is doubled the size.
  6. Grease hands and table top with butter.
  7. Take out the dough from the bowl. Divide the dough into 200g balls.
  8. Roll the balls one at a time on the greased surface till the surface is smooth.
  9. Cover the balls with moist cloth and let it rest for 10 minutes.
  10. Roll each ball into rectangle and roll them up like a swiss roll.
  11. Line them up in a greased bread loaf pan.
  12. Cover it with moist cloth and let it rest till it doubles the size.
  13. Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 40 minutes.
  14. When it is done, remove from pan and let it cool on a wire rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment