Friday, June 24, 2011

Healthy Black Glutinous Rice Chicken Soup

The black glutinous rice is named as the "black pearl (黑珍珠)" in chinese medical terms. It is known for its many health benefits because of high protein, iron, calcium, vitamins B1, B2 and many other minerals. Chinese physicians claim that black glutinous rice is great to be eaten during summer as it is good for the gastric and stomach. Also it can replenish stamina 养气. Isn't black glutinous rice wonderful?

How did I chance upon the dish? My hubby and I was at East Ocean restaurant located at Scotts for dim sum. Well, I love soups so I asked what was their soup of the day. "Why not try our black glutinous rice chicken soup. It is good for your stamina and health." recommended by the manager. So we tried it and I was indeed impressed.
The inquisitive mind took over and I did an online search. It was not a common dish. However, with some luck, I managed to pin some references from some Chinese website. I made some changes to recipe and give it a try.



Recipe (6 servings)
Ingredients
  • Half a Fresh Chicken, cut into pieces
  • 1/2 cup of Black Glutinous Rice
  • 4 litres of water
  • 1 small handful of 玉竹 yu zhu, approximately 6 pieces
  • 1 tbsp heapful of Wolfberries 枸杞子
  • Salt, sugar and pepper
Steps
  1. Soak the black glutinous rice in water for 30 minutes.
  2. Boil the water in a pot.
  3. Using 250ml of boiling water to scald the chicken pieces in a bowl.
  4. Add scalded chicken pieces, black glutinous rice and yu zhu into the pot of boiling water. Slow boil with low heat for 2 hours.
  5. Add wolberries and boil for another 30 minutes.
  6. Add salt, sugar and pepper to taste.



This soup is best taken hot. Enjoy!


1 comment: