Thursday, January 26, 2012

My Favourite Sausage / Hot dogs Rolls

Do you have a favourite item at the bakery? 

When I was young, my mum would bring my siblings and I to the bakery frequently. We always bought the same baked items. I love sausage rolls, my sister liked ham buns and my brother adored Red bean buns (I am not sure if they still like what they used to :P). So when our parents bought some bread home, we know they got what we wanted. Sometimes my brother and I would get into fights when he ate my sausage rolls. Yes, it was very 'territorial'. 

How would you enjoy a sausage roll?
Option 1: Eat the bread and sausage in organized bites
Option 2: Eat the bread and followed by the sausage
Option 3: Eat the sausage and followed by the bread

And I choose option 2! Save the best for the last, yea? 

I am glad to find this recipe online and I can bake them in my kitchenette. But just one simple advice, stick to your favourite brand of sausages. I bought 98% fat-free turkey sausages from a local supermarket but was utterly disappointed with the taste as they were way too salty.  



Recipe (Makes 8 sausage rolls)
Ingredients: 
Part 1:

  • 300g Bread Flour
  • 1 package of Instant Dried Yeast
  • 10g Sugar
  • 6g Salt
  • 30g Unsalted Butter, Softened and cut into small cubes
  • 1 egg 
  • 170 - 180g Whole Milk 
Part 2:
  • 1 egg and 2 tsp of water for egg wash
  • 8 sausages, washed and patted dry
  • 1 tsp Butter
Steps:
  1. In a mixing bowl, mix bread flour, dry yeast, sugar and salt well. 
  2. In a separate bowl, mix milk and egg together. 
  3. Add milk mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix well using a spatula. 
  4. Using hands, remove the dough and knead on a lightly floured surface. Knead until the dough is tender and elastic. About 10 minutes. 
  5. Add in the butter into the dough and knead for another 10 minutes or until the dough is soft, smooth and stretchable. Make sure the butter is well blended in.
  6. Put the dough in a lightly buttered bowl. Cover the dough with a damp cloth. Let it rest for 1 - 1.5h or till size doubles. (I let it rest in a 90 deg Fahrenheit oven with a tray of warm water).
  7. Deflate the dough with your fist. 
  8. Divide the dough into 8 portions. Roll the balls in your clenched hands against the table top till the dough smoothed. 
  9. Cover them with damp cloth and let them rest for 10 minutes.
  10. For each portion, roll them into 25 cm long ropes. Using the elongated dough to wrap a sausage. Leave 3/4 inch of each ends of the sausage unwrapped.  
  11. Lay the sausage rolls on a baking tray. Cover with damp cloth and let them rest till the dough doubles.
  12. Preheat the oven to 200 deg Celsius / 390 deg Fahrenheit.  
  13. Brush the dough with egg wash. 
  14. Bake the rolls for 12- 15 minutes or until the dough is light golden brown.
  15. Rub the rolls with a little butter to achieve a shine.




The recipe is adapted from http://food-4tots.com

1 comment:

  1. GREAT RECIPE , I JUST USED IT & HAVE LINKED UR BLOG UP ON MINE
    WANNA CHECK IT OUT ?

    N@NY
    http://artofnanyslife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete