Saturday, April 27, 2013

Asian Fried Mashed Bananas Fritters (Goreng Klodok)

I am going to visit my hairdressers today, not for a hair cut but to visit them as long time friends. It was about ten years ago when I lost control of my unruly hair (there was no rebonding technology then), I met Ethel and Terri. They are two of the most amazing women I have ever met so far. Every time I visit them, it  is like going to my third place where I feel welcomed, loved and happy. Ethel and Terri treat me like their own daughter and they would share with me their life experiences and even till today they would contact me once a while to make sure I am well. Although I do not visit them as often as I would like to, the bond we share is still fresh and strong. One of the interest we shared is the love for food. As Terri said," We shall eat first then work on it later." I totally agree with her. So today, I would like to bring something sweet for them for tea, something from my heart.  

Goreng Klodok is a typical Singaporean finger food that can be found at many Malay food stalls. It is getting difficult to find good ones nowadays. The ideal fritters should be packed with bananas, light in the inside and crispy on the outside. In my attempt in making these, I have also added brown sugar to add a depth of flavour to the sweetness and rice flour for the crunch.  





Recipe (24 pieces) 
Ingredients:
  • 500g Ripe bananas
  • 80g Caster sugar
  • 20g Brown Sugar
  • 120 All Purpose Flour
  • 2 tsp Rice Flour 
  • 1 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 60 ml Water
  • 2 tsp Oil 
  • Oil for frying

Steps:
  1. Mash the bananas with a whisk/ fork. We still want some bits of bananas in the mash to have the bite in the fritters. 
  2. Mix in the sugars.
  3. Add in the flours and baking powder. Mix well. 
  4. Add in salt and water. Then lastly the oil. 
  5. Set aside for at least 5 minutes. Prepare for oil for deep frying. I used a small saucepan with 2 inch of oil. Drop a small dough to check for temperature. It should sizzle quickly. If the temperature is too low, dough may absorb too much oil and end up with greasy balls. 
  6. Spoon 1 tablespoon of batter into the hot oil. The dough should float up shortly. Make sure both sides are brown before removing from oil. 





I am very happy that Ethel and Terri loved my "heartwork". The fritters were snapped up so quickly. :P  This made my day and I am sure it brightened theirs too. If you are reading my blog, please join me in making someone's day different. Cook for them...  

No comments:

Post a Comment