Monday, August 12, 2013

Carrot Cake is baked

Yes, this carrot cake is baked. It is a cake with carrots. I am still trying to get over it.  I didn't quite like carrot cakes because I was simply confused with Asian savory carrot cakes. Rooted to my asian roots, I was unwillingly to have  different items sharing a name. It is a identity crisis! Also I have never baked a cake with vegetables in it. I have tried nuts, fruits and herbs but never with a vegetable. It is weird... But it is a psychological issue I have to deal with. So here it is!

As I was writing this post, I googled for the history of carrot cake. I was surprised that it started long ago in the medieval days where it was cheaper to use carrot as natural sweetener in cakes. Perhaps that's why we have sweet potato pie? However it was only in 1960s where the Americans came up with the American Carrot cakes. 







Recipe For about 10 cup cakes

Ingredients
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup Canola oil 
  • 3 tablespoon Buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
  • 1 cup + 2 tbsp All purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp Baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp Baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt 
  • 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
  • 2 cups Tightly packed shredded Carrots
  • 1/2 cup Raisins
  • 1/2 cup Walnuts, toasted and chopped

Steps:

  1. Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius. 
  2. Using a cake mixer, whip the eggs and brown sugar at medium until mixture is light and thick. 
  3. In a separate bowl, mix oil, buttermilk and vanilla. Set aside.
  4. In a separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together.  Set aside.
  5. Reduce speed of cake mixer to low and slowly add in the oil mixture. 
  6. Using a rubber spatula and fold in the flour mixture. 
  7. Add in carrots, raisins and walnuts. Fold in until the batter is well mixed. 
  8. Pour the batter into a baking tin or muffin cups.
  9. Bake the cake for 1 hour or 45 minutes respectively. 



No comments:

Post a Comment