Okay, I surrender! I gave in to the temptation the calling of the crispy layered pancake and lets make some Crispy Yummy Roti Prata!
I am sure the dough is not too difficult to make but I do not think my arms are comparable to those muscular, hairy and skillful prata flippers of Jalan Kayu or Defu Lane. Hence, I will not try to tell you how to flip because I did not and dare not. It will be hilarious to see pratas stuck on the walls of my kitchenette.
Recipe (makes 12 Pratas)
- 600g of Plain flour
- 300ml of water
- 1 Egg
- 15ml of Cooking oil
- 1tsp of Salt
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- Cooking oil for frying
- Mix water, egg, salt, sugar and oil together in a bowl.
- In a mixing bowl, put flour in and make a well in the centre.
- Slowly, incorporate the liquid mixture into flour by adding liquid mixture into the well and using fingers to mix the flour into the well.
- It should form into a sticky dough. Continue to knead till smooth. About 5 minutes.
- Using a cling wrap, wrap it and put aside for 30 minutes.
- Remove wrap, knead another 10 minutes.
- Make the dough into smaller portions of 80g each.
- Coat with cooking oil and put into a tray. Wrap with cling wrap.
- Leave overnight.
- Heat the frying pan on medium heat and add 2 tbsp of oil.
- Flatten a ball at a time, stretch the dough till translucent thin. (You can try to flip here)
- Roll the dough into a scroll and roll the scroll into "curl up worm".
- Then flatten it with your palm.
- Pan-fry it till both sides are crispy and golden brown.
- Serve with curry or sugar.