Thursday, October 20, 2011

Potato and Leek Soup

Everyone has something for soups. Some must have soup everyday to go with their meals, some take it when they feel cold and some take it when they need some comfort. Me? I need soup all the time. I like  soups of all kinds, be it creamy or clear soups.

I just got myself a new toy recently. I have one Singapore, given by by mum. It was so handy that I decided to have one in Boston. It is a handheld blender. It come with attachments that I can used it anyway I want. I really like the stick blender where I can stick it into a pot of delicious cooked ingredients to puree them immediately. I know that chefs use them a lot. I do suggest you go get one too. 



I enjoy going to a couple of farmers markets in Cambridge: Charles square and Central Square. There are a good variety of farmers and food vendors who are really keen in meeting people and selling fresh and good quality produce. As I managed to get some farmers' market fresh potatoes and leeks from Charles Square, Cambridge, I was pretty sure I can going to have some good soup tonight. I always enjoy cooking with and eating fresh farmers' produce because I know I am eating real foods with little or no harmful chemicals and freshly picked in that morning, bursting with colours and flavours. 






I like how potatoes and leeks come together. The earthiness of potatoes well balanced with the mild onion like taste of leeks. It is really tasty. But I added some crispy prosciutto and toasted pine nuts to add some texture to it. 




Recipe (Serves 4)
Ingredients: 

  • 3 Large potatoes, cut into small dices
  • 5 Leeks, white part only, cut into thin slices
  • 1 Shallot, chopped
  • 2 Bay leaves
  • 2 sprigs of Thyme
  • 4 cups of Chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup of White wine
  • 2 tbsp Butter
  • Salt and pepper to taste

 Steps:

  1. Melt butter in a soup pot over medium heat. 
  2. Add in shallots and fry till it turns transparent. 
  3. Add in leeks and fry till fragrance. Then add in potatoes. Stir well. 
  4. Add in white wine, bay leaves and thyme. Simmer for 2 minutes.
  5. Add in chicken soup and simmer till the potatoes are tender. 
  6. Remove from heat. 
  7. Remove bay leaves and thyme from soup. 
  8. Puree with a hand-stick blender. Make sure the soup turns smooth.  
  9. Return to heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  10. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Such a warm and comforting soup - and your choice of toppings look glorious!

    ReplyDelete