Monday, October 17, 2011

Crispy Yummy Roti Prata

Oh boy.... I miss Roti Prata so much. I miss the strong aroma and its "crispy on the outside and tender on the inside" texture. It is so unforgettable. Oh no... The sinful Singapore Indian pancake is calling out to me,"Yummy yummy, make me to eat!" 

Okay, I surrender! I gave in to the temptation the calling of the crispy layered pancake and lets make some Crispy Yummy Roti Prata!


 I am sure the dough is not too difficult to make but I do not think my arms are comparable to those muscular, hairy and skillful prata flippers of Jalan Kayu or Defu Lane. Hence, I will not try to tell you how to flip because I did not and dare not. It will be hilarious to see pratas stuck on the walls of my kitchenette. 

Recipe (makes 12 Pratas)
 Ingredients:
  • 600g of Plain flour
  • 300ml of water
  • 1 Egg
  • 15ml of Cooking oil
  • 1tsp of Salt
  • 1 tbsp Sugar
  • Cooking oil for frying
Steps:
  1. Mix water, egg, salt, sugar and oil together in a bowl. 
  2. In a mixing bowl, put flour in and make a well in the centre.
  3. Slowly, incorporate the liquid mixture into flour by adding liquid mixture into the well and using fingers to mix the flour into the well. 
  4. It should form into a sticky dough. Continue to knead till smooth. About 5 minutes. 
  5. Using a cling wrap, wrap it and put aside for 30 minutes. 
  6. Remove wrap, knead another 10 minutes. 
  7. Make the dough into smaller portions of 80g each. 
  8. Coat with cooking oil and put into a tray. Wrap with cling wrap. 
  9. Leave overnight. 
  10. Heat the frying pan on medium heat and add 2 tbsp of oil. 
  11. Flatten a ball at a time, stretch the dough till translucent thin. (You can try to flip here) 
  12. Roll the dough into a scroll and roll the scroll into "curl up worm".
  13. Then flatten it with your palm. 
  14. Pan-fry it till both sides are crispy and golden brown. 
  15. Serve with curry or sugar. 

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Looks yummy. I would want to try this at home. Thank you for sharing your Roti Prata food experience. ;)

    ReplyDelete