Thursday, February 3, 2011

Chinese New Year Specials: Pineapple Tarts

Chinese New Year is finally here. Gong Xi Fa Cai to all my readers! May all your wishes come true.

It has been a busy period as I have been baking and cooking and now I finally have the chance to blog it. For those who link up with me via facebook would have a sneak at my CNY goodies. For some of my colleagues would have the chance to sample them. I shall blog them one at a time.

Chinese New Year Goodies 1:


Pineapple Tarts
Chinese believes that it is auspicious to eat Pineapple during the new year as pineapple sounds like (黄梨 sounds like 旺来) good fortune in Mandarin. So Chinese make tarts from pineapple and some even hang pineapple shaped lanterns in their home to welcome prosperity to their house.

This recipe has been tried and tested for many years. It has been perfected by my mother such that the pastry melts in your mouth and leaves a fragrant buttery taste behind which makes you beg for more. Seriously, I already received orders for next year.

Recipe:
Jam
4 Pineapples, grated
6 Pandan leaves
600g sugar
6 cloves
1 cinnamon bark

Pastry
600g plain flour
250g butter (I prefer SCS)
1 egg and 3 egg yolks
1 tbsp milk powder
1 Egg yolk for brushing

Steps:
Jam
  1. Cook all the ingredients for the jam in a big pot over small fire.
  2. Stir well to prevent burning.
  3. Cook the jam until it turns into a nice golden colour.

Pastry
  1. Cream the butter till creamy.
  2. Add in eggs. Mix well.
  3. Add in flour and milk powder. Knead well.
  4. Roll the pastry to half a cm thick.
  5. Cut the pastry with a cutter.
  6. Put jam on the cut pastry. Flute the edge.
  7. Brush the pastry with egg yolk.
  8. Bake at 180 degree Celsius until golden brown.

I wish I could share this recipe earlier so you can make it for CNY. But nevertheless, you can make this anytime to enjoy its goodness.


No comments:

Post a Comment