Friday, November 11, 2011

Blackberry Almond Crumb Squares

I am on a crazy baking marathon this week, preparing samples for a holiday fair that is coming up in December. I am really excited about it. Perhaps it is the little entrepreneur growing in me which I am look forward to the day that I can turn my culinary dreams into reality. 

I bought some blackberry squares from Russo's couple months back and they are quite good. But there's something which I would have done to improve it. Probably add some almonds into the dough. I think you will agree with me the wonders almonds can do for pastries. 

 This pastry is relatively simple and great for an after dinner dessert with ice cream. It can be made a day ahead. 


Recipes (12 squares) 
Ingredients:
  • 140g or 1 1/4 cups Softened butter
  • 1 3/4 cup Plain flour
  • 1/2 cup Ground almonds
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup Powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tsp Almond extract
  • 2 cups Blackberries, rinsed, pat dry and halved
Steps:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit ( 180 degree Celsius).
  2. In a bowl, mix flour, ground almonds, cinnamon and salt together. Set aside.
  3. Using a electric mixer, blend butter and sugar till pale and light. 
  4. Add in almond extract. 
  5. Mix in flour mixture until a crumbly dough is formed. 
  6. In a pan, use 2/3 of the dough and press it on the bottom of the pan.
  7. Arrange the blackberries on the dough. 
  8. Sprinkle the rest of the dough on top. 
  9. Bake it for 30 minutes or until golden brown. 
  10. Cool and cut into squares. 
It serves well with dusted sugar or ice cream. 
You can replace the blackberries with either blueberries, raspberries or cranberries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment