Friday, December 9, 2011

Potato Latkes wth Spicy Habanero Jelly

In my stay in Boston, I made many friends. Friends from all over the world. One of them is M, she is from Taiwan and she loves food and dining too. We hit off immediately and have been hanging out frequently. At a recent foodswap which we attended together, we tasted for the first time Habanero Jelly. Both of us fell in love with it. Unfortunately, I did not managed to swap for the prized item. But M did. So she shared with me. Oh my.... it was so gorgeous. Well, I was so captivated with the jelly and started browsing the internet for a good recipe. Trying to figure out the ingredients that will contribute to a good Habanero jelly, with much effort I nailed it! Hence I invited M to come and make some spicy and sweet Hanabero jelly. 


Habanero is rated one of the hottest chili in the world. It is given 100,000–350,000 on the Scoville scale whereas Bird-eye chili (Commonly used in Asia) is only rated 50,000 - 100,000. Be careful when you deal with them. My hands experienced hot sensation even though I minimized contact with it. 




After making the jelly, M and I tasted it. Wooh! It was much better than the one we had at the foodswap. It was magnificent (and quite spicy despite both of us love spicy food). Right after M left my place, I started to think of what to have for dinner. After browsing some food magazines, I decided to make some Potato Latkes. Then a sudden thought came to my head! Why not dip it with Habanero jelly! So I did! It was a marriage made in heaven! Yummy... You got to try these out!






Spicy Habanero Jelly 
Recipe 
Ingredients:

  • 60g Hanabero chili 
  • 30g Yellow Bell pepper
  • 1/3 Big yellow onion
  • 1/2 cup Apple Cider vinegar
  • 1 1/2 cup Sugar
  • 6g Pectin 
Steps:
  1. Puree chili and peppers with 1/4 cup of vinegar.
  2. Boil the puree chili mix with sugar and rest of the vinegar for 10 minutes. 
  3. Stir in pectin and keep boiling for 1 minute. 
  4. Remove from heat. 
  5. Skim foam.
  6. Mixture will form when cooled. 

Potato Latkes
Recipe (Makes seven 3" pieces)
Ingredients:

  • 2 large potatoes
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 Egg
  • 1/6 cup All-purpose flour
  • 3/4 tsp Salt 
  • Cooking oil 
Steps:
  1. Peel and coarsely grate the potatoes. 
  2. Toss with lemon juice. 
  3. Chop the onions and mix it with the potatoes. 
  4. Using a clean kitchen towel, wring out as much liquid as possible from the potatoes and onions. 
  5. Put the potatoes and onion to a clean mixing bowl. 
  6. Add in egg, flour and salt. Mix well.
  7. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat. 
  8. Fill a 1/4 cup with latke mixture and carefully place it on the pan.
  9. Using a slotted spatula, flatten latke mixture into 3" patty. 
  10. Fry till the undersides turned golden brown. Turn over and cook the other side golden brown too. 
  11. Repeat for the rest of the latke mixture. 
  12. You may keep them warm in a 250 degree Fahrenheit oven for up to 1 hour. Or you may fry them again for 2 minutes on each sides.   



No comments:

Post a Comment