Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Sweet Bananas in Coconut Cream with Toasted Sesame seeds

I was planning for a Thai Cooking Challenge for my Culinary club. The menu looks good except that it needs a dessert!! I needed something that is easy and quick. But most importantly easy on the palate because we have international friends in the club who might not be able to take exotic Asian taste. 


After browsing Sam and Forest Leong latest recipe book, I saw something I like, "Bananas in Coconut cream". Perfect! I had some bananas which I just bought so I quickly tried out the recipe. Mmm... Mmm! The bananas are sweet and soft. And the coconut cream adds a layer of creaminess and a tint of saltiness which that enhances the entire gastronomic experience. My hubby then said,"How about some toasted sesame seeds to go with it!" That is a marvelous idea. We tried that and it was really a brilliant suggestion. 


I have used large bananas to try this recipe. I sliced them equally before cooking so to make cooking more manageable. I suggest that if you can get hold of small bananas, use them as they look more presentable. 


I hope this recipe will work out well for the coming Thai Cooking Challenge. It will be so much fun!





Recipe (Serves 5) 
Ingredients
  • 150ml Coconut Cream
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • 400g Sugar
  • 200ml Water
  • 10 - 20 Small bananas, peeled and soaked in water with 1 tbsp lime/lemon juice for at least 15 minutes
  • 1 tbsp of toasted Sesame seeds

 Steps
  1. Toast sesame seeds on a pan over low heat. Remove when they turn light golden brown. Set aside.
  2. Prepare sauce. Mix coconut cream with salt and boil over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
  3. Boil sugar and water over high heat until sugar dissolves. When syrup starts to thicken, turns heat to low.
  4. Drain the bananas and add to the syrup. Cook, stirring occasionally, until bananas start to become translucent, about 10 -15 minutes. Do so gently to prevent bananas from breaking.
  5. Drain bananas from syrup and top with coconut sauce. Sprinkle with some sesame seeds.
  6. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment